Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Home (of a sort) at last

Day 100


Distance from Sebastopol, CA to Boulder, CO = 1276 miles

Distance I traveled from Sebastopol, CA to Boulder, CO = 7568 miles


Day 101 - 106


I’m officially in Boulder with Micah, reunited with the one I love. It's a time for happiness and joy. Like that song by the dog and cat. It’s been quite an adjustment from over a month apart to now getting to spend time together on a regular basis. Mostly good. But Micah is also living a life here, full of school work, socializing with classmates, getting a new room prepared to live in, etc. So time isn't always spent together, and it's hard when that's all I want. I'll get used to it, but without anything to really do, what's a man to do? Well, I’ve been doing my best to keep busy. When I’m not happily spending time with Micah, or Micah and her friends, I’ve been busy applying to jobs, most notably Front Range Community College as part time faculty. I obviously wouldn’t start this fall, but hopefully in the future I’d be able to get back into teaching. My other idea is to work at this video game shop that sells retro games. I already went there to scope it out, so now I’m just busy tailoring my resume to things relevant to that industry, which basically means I’m making a fake resume outlining all my game related accomplishments through the years. I have a feeling a million people want to work there, but there’s no harm in trying. Besides jobs I’ve located a great indoor soccer league, and there are several climbing walls in town for me to go play around on. I think that everyone here is probably a better climber than I am, but maybe not as good at add-a-hold games that rely on reachy moves followed by matches.


We’ve done some pretty fun stuff since I’ve arrived, including seeing a show by this girl Bearkat, a concert by the Fruit Bats, a pool party with all Micah’s friends, and a day by the creek that runs through the canyon. The weather has been mostly hot, but I’m told that by the time September ends there will be no more heat. So might as well make the most of it. I think there’s some talk of camping this weekend, which would be great.


The worst thing that’s happened so far is my near destruction by a mad man at the Fruit Bats concert. He was taking upwards of 700 photos with his iPhone during the show, and I decided to put my middle finger into one of them. He then confronted me, telling me how I ruined the shot, and that it’s his job to take pictures (with an iPhone? Really?). I think it was supposed to be a picture of one of the band member’s shoes (which he already took maybe 50 of), and now it had a bit more flipping off than shoe. I apologized, but he was kind of upset, and didn’t accept. Ah, well. Some people just don’t let go of things. Luckily nothing happened, and he went back to taking a thousand more photos.


All of Micah’s friends are very nice people, and I’m hoping to make some friendships with them myself. It’s hard at the moment though, since most of the conversation is directed toward class, counseling, therapy, psychologizing, and the like. I can talk about that stuff, but maybe once the semester gets rolling they’re have a greater desire to discuss other topics, such as hair pants, fruit rankings, and the merits of soft-serve ice cream. One day.


Other quick bits that deserve exclamation marks:

- I’ve seen three foxes here already!

- I’m going to do some repairs on the van while I’m stationed here! Exciting!

- Micah and I are back together!

- Biking up the hill to her house is impossible! For now!

- There’s a mountain lion den up the hill behind Micah’s house! I can hear them (I think!)!

- Gas is cheaper here! $2.63!

- I’ve been to three breweries! And there’s more than that!


Well, that’s about it for now. Not sure what the updates will look like for the next bit as my trip takes an intermission to stay with Micah for as long as I can (hopefully a month). I’ll do my best to keep things consistent, as you’ve come to expect from yours truly, but I can’t make any promises. Plus, an entire post devoted to sitting at a coffee shop waiting for Micah’s class to end is not always conducive to interesting stories. But you never know. Something crazy might happen, like when Enoch was at a Starbucks (as usual), and someone came in and robbed the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Starman

Starman
able to turn left

Hank

Hank
tired of muffins

Clean up

Clean up
metal gone

Trinidad

Trinidad

A Jagdwagen!

A Jagdwagen!
Look closely